I started this blog a year ago. At that time, my stated objectives were as follows:
…….to share my love of music and the history behind the music. Posts will focus on
- Music from under appreciated older artists
- Music with interesting, little known, back stories
- Versions of great songs that you might not have heard (demos, alternate takes, live versions, covers, etc.)
- New music from artists with little media exposure
- Other miscellaneous topic that inspires me
On very good days we might manage to touch on two or more of the above in a single post.
I think, for the most part, I have accomplished those objectives. That’s the good new…..the bad news is that now I need to figure out continue to meet those objective in 2013 while keeping the blog fresh. I have been think about this challenge for a while and have a few new ideas that I want to share with you.
- It Was 40 Years Ago Today – This year I plan to have a series of posts highlighting hit singles, albums, and musical events that occurred 40 years ago. There was lots of interesting things going on with music in 1973 and we will be talking about many of this year.
- Two’fer Tuesday – I getting bored with our Long Song Tuesday series of posts. I plan to replace it with Two’fer Tuesday, a series of posts of two songs that are related in different ways. For example: electric and acoustic versions of a song; radically different interpretations of a song; an original song that did not become a hit until it was recorded by someone else, etc.
- Side Projects – Posts discussing side projects of famous musicians
- Mini Series – A couple of new post series along the lines of The Southern California Sound series of posts from last year. I am currently working on a mini-series called The History of American Protest Music and am seriously considering another series tentatively titled the San Francisco Sound. I am also open to any suggestions that you might have.
I think that will be enough to get us started. Along the way we will toss in some new posts in old series such as: New Music That Doesn’t Suck; International Songs; My Final Playlist; Who Is Sitting In; etc. I am sure we will throw in some surprises as well.
Thanks for reading this blog las year and I look forward to keeping your interest in 2013.
I hope to kick things off tomorrow.